Lawyer ducks away so the heads of ex-proud boys can defend themselves

Lawyer ducks away so the heads of ex-proud boys can defend themselves

Lawyer ducks away so the heads of ex-proud boys can defend themselves

The lawyer for Enrique Tarrio, former leader of the violent Proud Boys organization, asked a federal judge on Thursday for permission to withdraw from three cases against his client related to last year’s uprising.

Tarrio plans to represent himself in at least one of the cases, attorney J. Daniel Hull noted in the motion filed in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C.

“J. Daniel Hull respectfully requests the court to authorize him to withdraw his appearance in this and two related cases,” the attorney wrote, first referring to a civil suit against Enrique Tarrio.

Tarrio has also been charged in two criminal cases, including one that charged him with seditious conspiracy.

“Mr. Hull has been authorized by Mr. Tarrio to represent that Tarrio agrees to the withdrawal and that he will proceed in this case [the civil action] pro se”, representing himself, proposes the motion for withdrawal.

However, Hull noted that the logistics of getting Tarrio’s written consent were difficult given Tarrio’s “unexpected arrest in mid-March,” his criminal charges, his pre-trial detention, and “his transfers between different prisons on the East Coast.”

The judge rejected Hull’s motion Friday over the lack of Tarrio’s signed consent.

“While the court understands that counsel is having difficulty communicating with Mr Tarrio, there is no exception… [the] …required to notify the customer of the request to withdraw,” wrote US District Court Amit Mehta.

The Justice Department has indicted several Proud Boys leaders — who has been declared a terrorist organization in Canada – and others as key planners of the January 6, 2021 riots.

The day before the storming of the Capitol, Tarrio met in a parking garage in Washington, DC, the leader of the Oathkeeper Stewart Rhodes, who has also been charged with seditious conspiracy.

Tarrio had been ordered to stay out of Washington the previous day after his arrest for stealing and burning a Black Lives Matter banner at a black Methodist church.

When Tarrio was arrested, he was carrying two “high-capacity firearms magazines” for ammunition, police said in a statement.

Tarrio’s trial for seditious conspiracy earlier this year was adjourned until at least December.

Rhodes and four co-defendants are scheduled to face trial on September 26 on seditious conspiracy charges. They have said there was no plot to attack the Capitol and that their communications prior to Jan. 6 were about providing security for right-wing figures or preparing for attacks by left-wing antifa activists.

Authorities announced on Thursday that a lawyer for the Oath Keepers was charged with conspiracy in connection with the January 6 attack.

Kellye SoRelle — general adviser to the anti-government group — is a close associate of Rhodes and, according to officials, also attended the parking garage meeting on Jan. 6.

The indictment alleges SoRelle told others to withhold and “alter, destroy, mutilate and conceal” items from the federal grand jury investigating the Jan. 6 riots by supporters of then-President Donald Trump, Reuters reported.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.